Presenting Your Research

Conferences are a great opportunity to learn more about the most current research in your field, to practice speaking about your own research, and to meet professors you might want to research with as a graduate student.

The UNL Spring Research Fair and the UNL Summer Research Symposium are just two of many opportunities for you to share your research on campus. Some departments also hold research conferences for students at the graduate and undergraduate level. Ask your advisor about these opportunities.

Presenting your research at UNL allows you to practice speaking about your research to a non-specialized audience. It's also a chance to get feedback from your advisor, graduate students, and other UNL professors.

Then consider attending regional or national disciplinary forums and conferences to present your research. Ask your advisor and any graduate students you interact with about the major disciplinary conferences in your field and smaller conferences with narrower foci. You'll also want to learn about listservs specific to your discipline. Humanities and Social Sciences, for example, advertise reviews, calls for papers, and conferences on H-net.

Travel Grants

UCARE will provide you $500 to support travel to present the research you've conducted under UCARE's funding.

You may only apply for funding for one conference per academic year.

If you are awarded a travel grant:

  • You are required to follow University policy on travel.
  • The application for a travel grant serves as your pre-authorization.
  • You may receive funds only for travel undertaken while enrolled as a full-time UNL student. If you are applying for summer travel, you must be registered for classes at UNL for the future fall semester.

Larger conferences often offer scholarships or other support for undergraduates and graduate students traveling to present for the first time. Check out the website for these conferences and see what support exists. Also talk with your advisor about possible funds in current research grants or departmental support.